It’s so easy to get caught up in the insanity of the Black Friday deals and discounts. Personally, I prefer not getting crushed by a throng of people hoping to pick up a big-screen TV. Wouldn’t it be fantastic to, instead, support handmade crafters on Etsy and independent shops in your neighborhood? Here are a few of my favorites!
I’ve bought two pieces from ISWAS+WILLBE and they were both more stunning in person than they were in the photos! This weekend (November 24-28), they’re offering 25% off your entire purchase with the coupon code “HOLIDAYROCK,” so go check out their shop! You may find a perfect, handmade, unique gift for someone else or even yourself.
McSweeney’s is one of my very favorite independent publishers. They publish and support so many creative, unique books, essays, and short films and it basically makes my heart happy. This year, they’re offering freebies with the purchase of one of their various subscriptions:
- The Believer subscription comes with a Believer Faces poster. Promo code = POSTER
- A Wholphin subscription comes with a Best of Wholphin DVD. Promo code = BEST
- A McSweeney’s Quarterly subscription comes with McSweeney’s Issue 16. Promo code = BACK16
- A Grantland subscription comes with a Furry Journal. Promo code = FUR
- A Lucky Peach subscription comes with The Latke Who Couldn’t Stop Screaming. Promo code = LATKE
That’s right: the guys over at my favorite comic shop are offering some awesome Black Friday deals as well (and they’re going all the way through Sunday)! You can see Mike break it down in video form…
Or just know that they’re offering $1 deals on a lot of great issues, 75% off a bunch of hardcovers, 50% off back issues, 50% off Sin City or The Walking Dead, and apparently Mike will be giving away free stuff as well. I will definitely be checking it out!
Obviously, these are just a few examples of some fantastic handmade, local, or independent shops. I absolutely urge you to find places that fit your interests or independent shops in your neighborhood. I promise you won’t be sorry!